Monday, August 11, 2008

Re-Launching Ruby Perrin Design

I've managed to snag a little free time before beginning work in about a month, and I've decided to use it to (a) devote a little more time to my blog, and (b) devote a little more time to a hobby I first picked up several years ago...

Ruby Perrin* Design.

I started designing jewelry about five years ago, not long after I graduated from college and moved to New York to begin a finance job. My first apartment was in the Garment District, and it didn't take me long to discover that the Garment District was home to what seemed like an endless number of stores that sold semi-precious stones in richly hued shades, glass beads adorned with intricate etchings, freshwater pearls, and ornate silver and gold findings. My finance job soon began financing my new hobby. I continued to build my collection of beads and findings, and I enrolled in a jewelry design class at the Fashion Institute of Technology.

After nearly a three-year long hiatus (thanks in part to a graduate school program), I've decided that it's been far too long since I've designed a new piece of jewelry. Armed with a new set of materials and a new state of mind, I'm ready to design again. And, in addition to being a home for the fashion and sports fare that I've grown to love, I also envision this blog as a "creative space" in which I can post photos of pieces I'm working on, explore new design techniques, and share what I learn along the way. I can't wait!

*my paternal grandmother's first name + my maternal grandmother's last name = ruby perrin

2 comments:

Jacqueline said...

I found your post by accident, and thought I'd lend my support on your launch. I know it's a challenge to go ahead and do this but I wish you nothing but success with it.

heather said...

Thanks so much for the kind words, Jacqueline!