Sunday, February 1, 2009

(Selected) Highlights from the Super Bowl

The Steelers just won this hard-fought battle. Despite predictions to the contrary, the game was quite exciting ... a 100 yd (that's right, the entire length of the field) play, a safety, several lead changes in the 4th quarter. Although I'm not a huge professional football fan, I was pulling for Mike Tomlin (who, by the way, is a ringer for Omar Epps) and his team. Go Steelers!

For a more professional take on the game, see here, here, or here. For fun highlights (and yes, some of these are completely random), see below.


1. Faith Hill's rendition of "America the Beautiful" was fantastic. And her new, shorter 'do is quite flattering.

2. Jennifer Hudson's national anthem was absolutely breathtaking. This was her first public appearance since the tragic murders of her mother, brother and nephew. She was obviously emotional, and she delivered a beautiful performance. It was really nice to her see again.

3. Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger and the entire crew of US Airways Flight 1549 were honored just before kick-off. They seemed so calm. I guess that's exactly why they were able to save so many lives on January 15. As someone who has a healthy fear of flying, I find great comfort in their heroism.

4. Long, flowing, totally glamorous locks that extended far beyond the bottom of the standard-issue NFL helmet were very "in" among players this season.

5. I now understand why Steelers fans refer to their quarterback as "Big Ben." Ben Roethlisberger is big. And powerful. And a two-time Super Bowl championship-winning quarterback. At 26.

5. Kurt Warner has seven children! And he's a great guy. His post-game interview with NBC was a class act.

6. I'm pretty sure that Dan Rooney, the owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers, thanked President Obama (among others) for the team's win. Awesome.

7. Santonio Holmes has one of the best first names I've ever heard. Santonio. How can you not love that?

8. Tony Dungy joined the NBC team as a commentator for the Super Bowl. He seems like the nicest man. Every time he spoke, I smiled.

9. The much-anticipated commercials were okay, but none came close to my always-and-forever favorite, which, of course, featured the Budweiser frogs. For reasons that remain unknown, those frogs still crack me up. And I don't even like frogs. They scare me.

No comments: