Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Learning to Sew: Slow and Steady

I had my first sewing class at FIT on Sunday. It was great -- it was really fun to meet a group of people who are just as enthusiastic about learning to sew as I am. And here's what I learned: Sewing is hard. Really, really hard. It took me the better part of 2 hours to learn how to thread the sewing machine! No joke.

I am not easily discouraged. I need to learn how to use a Vogue pattern to make myself a cute little shift dress for the summer. I've decided to do a little research on how to thread a sewing machine (the scary industrial kind that we use in class) before my next class -- I can't afford to spend another 2 hours threading the machine. At that rate I'll never make the pajama bottoms that I am supposed to go home with after 5 classes. I really hope that this "instructional video" I found on YouTube will help. (And if anyone out there knows of any other helpful resources, please let me know. I will be eternally grateful. So will my pajama bottoms. And my shift dress.)

No comments: