Sunday, September 7, 2008

College Football Bonanza

Week 2 of the college football season has wrapped! Shame on me--I was conspicuously absent from my blog during the opening week of play--with the Conventions (I watched both the Democrats and the Republicans--I'm a political junkie), the nail-biting hurricane watches, and my determination to start furnishing my brand new Manhattan apartment from the comfort of my own laptop (complicated by the fact that both my laptop and I have spent the past several weeks in Florida), I wasn't able to post as often as I wanted. But enough of the excuses. Here goes!

College Football Round-up

1. East Carolina has emerged as the Cinderella story of the early weeks of college play. East Carolina was not supposed to be 2-0 after facing Virginia Tech during week one and West Virginia during week two. Forget what the team was supposed to do...East Carolina beat both teams. How exciting! Thank you, East Carolina, for making this season interesting so soon.

2. This weekend was a great one for football fans from the state of Florida. First, my beloved Florida Gators beat a young, upstart Miami team, 26-3. The Hurricanes are re-building their program, and I'm confident and hopeful that in the future, the 'Canes will be a formidable opponent. But for now, I'm just relieved that Tim Tebow and the Gators won last night's game. (The Gators and the Hurricanes don't meet again until the 2013 season. ) And second, Saturday night's game between South Florida and Central Florida was much closer than many fans predicted. UCF wasn't supposed to stand a chance against USF, but the Golden Knights rallied from 14 points behind to force the game into overtime...only to make a handful of mistakes that afforded USF their second win of the season. For UCF fans, it was a heartbreaking loss, but for a program that is less than 10 years old, UCF is doing just fine.

In other college football news, after beating Virginia, 52-7, the USC Trojans held the top spot at the beginning of week two. The top spot belonged to the Georgia Bulldogs at the beginning of the season, but apparently a 45-21 win over Georgia Southern to open the season wasn't enough to keep Georgia there. The Trojans had a bye week this week, and the Bulldogs beat Central Michigan 56-17 on Saturday, so it'll be interesting to see what happens at the top of the AP Top 25 this week.

No comments: