Monday, October 29, 2007

So Many Sports, So Little Time...

It's been a busy few days. Lots of college football action. Lots of professional football action. Lots of baseball action, both on and off the field.

1. It was a tough weekend for the legions of loyal college football fans from the state of Florida. The Gators lost to the Georgia Bulldogs in Jacksonville, 42-30. I think it's probably time for me to accept that this season belongs to another team. And since Ohio State's football and basketball teams fell to Florida in championship games last year, I'm fine with Ohio State rising to the top of the BCS Standings this year. Sort of.

In other unfortunate college football news, South Florida lost to Connecticut (22-15) on Saturday after losing to Rutgers ( 30-27) last week. Despite back-to-back setbacks, I still believe in the South Florida Bulls.

The fallout from these losses wasn't as devastating as it could have been. The BCS Standings now list Florida at #20, while South Florida is two spots ahead of Florida at #18. But really, enough of the bad news. Moving on.

2. I have confessed to not following professional football as closely as I should. As it gets closer to Super Bowl time, I'll get better. In the meantime, I'll continue to obsess about the NFL's global expansion. On Sunday, the New York Giants defeated the Miami Dolphins (13-10) in London's Wembley Stadium before a sold-out crowd. Many people (and especially the Giants) consider this experiment to have been a success. I'm still on the fence, anxiously awaiting the NFL's next global move...

3. Congratulations Red Sox fans! Is it safe to say that the curse has officially ended?

4. And finally, on to the more outrageous baseball news: Alex Rodriguez totally quit the Yankees! Some are questioning his timing, and it does seem unlikely that A-Rod just happened to announce the break-up at the height of the World Series. And while I also agree that it's too bad that the focus has shifted a bit from the game to this dramatic development, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to watching the A-Rod saga unfold during the off-season.

No comments: