Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Socially Conscious Fashion

The Anya Hindmarch "I'm Not A Plastic Bag" tote created quite a stir when it was launched in the U.S. last June. "Going green" had never been so fashionable. More recently, Lauren Bush teamed up with the UN World Food Programme to design the "FEED" tote bag, a sturdy, reversible cotton and burlap bag that sells for $59.95, an amount that will feed one child for an entire school year in a region in which children are suffering from malnutrition and starvation. (Purchase one on amazon.com here.)

Since about 1993, I have been the proud owner of one of the original socially conscious totes, a simple cotton bag adorned with a Mark Twain quote* that I purchased at The Body Shop in England for exactly one British pound. At the time, it was a major purchase: I was 11 and I'm pretty sure that I used my "own money" to buy it. A few weeks ago, I was in Florida visiting my family and I found the tote in a box of miscellaneous items that my dad was going to donate to Goodwill. After rescuing it and giving it a good wash, the tote is now featured prominently in my handbag rotation, where it belongs.

* "Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."

No comments: