Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Shocking Football Games Wait for No One!

I'm ashamed to say that it's been over a week since the last post. This time, I'd be lying if I said that academic obligations alone kept me away. I may have squeezed in a (fantastic) mini-vacation during this past week as well. But just because I was resting doesn't mean that the football season was resting, too. And so, I may be late, but I am nevertheless compelled to comment on two *crazy* things that happened this past weekend:

1. In college football action, the top-ranked, previously undefeated Ohio State Buckeyes lost to the Fighting Illini on Saturday, 28-21. Ohio State's loss paved the way for LSU (9-1) to make its way back to the top of the BCS Standings and the AP Top 25, while Ohio State (10-1) fell to #7 on both lists. This is a tough break for Ohio State. I feel for the Buckeyes, and I'd probably feel even more if I weren't distracted by Florida's steady climb back toward the Top 10 (#12 BCS, #14 AP Top 25) following last weekend's convincing win over South Carolina, 51-31.

2. In professional football action, Adam Vinatieri chose an incredibly inopportune time to miss a 29 yard field goal on Sunday night. The Colts were playing the Chargers in San Diego, and they were down 21-23 with 1:34 left in the game. Vinatieri kicked, missed, and the Colts lost. It was heartbreaking.

The moral of these stories is this: In the coming weeks, the television writers' strike may force tons of shows into reruns prematurely. I support the writers' position. It is an absolute shame that the writers are not getting an equitable share of the profits generated via new distribution channels for the shows that they bring to life, and I truly hope that there is a swift and fair resolution. In the meantime, it's comforting to know that, at least for the next few weeks, football upsets and flukes just might provide otherwise deprived television fans with a little unscripted entertainment.

No comments: