Saturday, June 5, 2010

About Ruby Perrin Design

Thanks for visiting the Ruby Perrin Design blog! I'm Heather, and in January 2011, I will be launching Ruby Perrin Design, a web-based design business offering both personalized interior decorating services and an online shop that is carefully stocked with unique accessories and other fun pieces. I'm really looking forward to the launch of Ruby Perrin Design, and I'll be documenting my journey from design enthusiast to small design business owner here on the blog. I hope you check back often to see what's new!

Ruby Perrin Design Q&A:

1. Who is Ruby Perrin?
A: Ruby Perrin Design is named after my grandmothers. Ruby = my paternal grandmother's first name, and Perrin = my maternal grandmother's last name. Two fabulous ladies. One design concept.

2. Are you a professional designer?
A: I'm a professional design enthusiast. During the day (and on many nights and weekends as well), I occupy myself with a challenging job that required seven years of post-secondary education and the successful completion of a traumatically difficult exam. In my free time, I devour all things design.

3. Why did you decide to start Ruby Perrin Design?
A: Back when I was studying for that traumatically difficult exam, I calmed my nerves by visiting beautiful design blogs and obsessing over the latest issue of Domino magazine (may it rest in peace). Through this self-study, I discovered that I really enjoyed design, and I set out to incorporate everything that I had learned in my new apartment. After my apartment began to take shape (it's not finished, nor will it ever be -- I've learned that good interior design is flexible and evolves over time), I realized that I missed having a space to design from scratch. Several thousand clicks through design websites and several thousand rounds of flipping through design magazines later, Ruby Perrin Design was born.

4. What are some of your favorite design resources?
A: Online Resources: I love Apartment Therapy, Design*Sponge, High Street Market and Bryn Alexandra Interiors for inspiration and great DIY project ideas. Target, West Elm and World Market have shopper-friendly websites (and web-only sales) that make e-shopping for the home easy and fun. And, second to no one (except, perhaps, my mother), I am the world's biggest Overstock.com fan. I've found really fantastic, affordable items for my apartment there. Offline/Bricks-and-Mortar Resources: The Domino Book of Decorating is a great resource that is full of timeless tips. Manhattan's Museum of Modern Art just might be my all-time favorite source for design inspiration. And when I opt to shop in-person instead of online, IKEA (for simple, basic pieces), Anthropologie (for pieces with a little personality and attitude) and the Home Depot (yes, the Home Depot) are some of favorite destinations. For vintage finds in the city that I now call home (I ♥ New York), I love Brooklyn Flea and the Housing Works thrift shops.

Have a question that's not answered here? I'm happy to answer it! Email me at heather [at] rubyperrin [dot] com.

No comments: