Monday, April 13, 2009

Please Help Me Pick Out a (Cute, Affordable) Trench Coat

I need a new trench coat. A few years ago, a bought a great chocolate brown trench from The Gap. It was on sale and it was fabulous. I wore that trench every day that I could -- and now it shows. So I need a new one -- I'm looking for something lightweight, chic and professional-looking. (I'm trying to prepare in advance for those times when work will require me to (a) be out of the office when the weather is bad and (b) look presentable once I get to the out-of-office destination.)

Last Friday, I purchased this Ellen Tracy trench at downtown Manhattan's always unnecessarily hectic discount department store, Century 21. I tried it on in the store, and again at home, where I discovered that it just wasn't a good fit. I'm returning it. The funnel neck collar (it's convertible) is what drew it to me at first:

image: nordstrom.com ($138)


While window-shopping online earlier today, I fell in love with this beautiful Vivienne Westwood trench at Liberty, the UK retailer. Its asymmetrical drape is stunning (as is its price tag):



image: liberty.co.uk (approximately $675)

Harper's Bazaar UK directed me to this option from Banana Republic. I love this shade of gray and the unconventional collar, but it might be too "crinkled" and casual for work:

image: bananarepublic.com ($79.99 -on sale)

Any thoughts on these? Any other suggestions? Is there an amazing trench out there that I'm missing? Do tell.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The classic look of a simple camel trench - first one in the showcase.iy gets my vote, and there would be no questions when you put it on to go anywhere - dressy, business, casual! Go!