Tuesday, January 26, 2010

When Sports and Sensitive Subjects Collide. On TV. During the Super Bowl.

I like to keep this blog controversy-free. It's a little safe space where serious subjects take a back seat to sports and fashion and interior design. However, I'm taking a temporary step away from that safe space to comment (briefly) on this: Apparently, former (that sounds so weird) Florida Gators quarterback Tim Tebow is set to star in an anti-abortion advertisement that will air during the Super Bowl. Yes, you read that sentence correctly.

My gut tells me that this is not okay. Don't get me wrong (and excuse the cliche): I'm a big proponent of free speech, and an even bigger proponent of free thought. We are all entitled to our own beliefs, and more often than not we will disagree. But an anti-abortion ad during the Super Bowl? Starring Tim Tebow? It just doesn't make sense, and the tacit endorsement by CBS/the NFL/any other party viewers associate with the Super Bowl = bad news. I don't like this at all.

Read more about this recipe for disaster (mine is just one girl's opinion) here, here and here.

No comments: