Saturday, May 23, 2009

Decorating Detox

I am officially putting the rest of my apartment decorating project on hold -- just until my lovely mother comes to NYC for a visit in July. I am in the process of convincing her to stage a design intervention and to correct the errors I have made along the way. Don't get me wrong; I still love my apartment and I still love the decorating process. It's just that I feel that I've hit a wall (absolutely no pun intended), and I think I need to take a step back and seek the design advice of someone who does not see my apartment on a daily basis. There is one small section of my living room that I absolutely love, and I wouldn't change a thing about it. But the rest of my living room (particularly the wall behind my television), my kitchen and my entryway definitely need more work. As does my bedroom -- according to my brother, who was visiting last weekend, it looks a little dated. And socially conservative. That is definitely not the look I was going for when I decorated it less than a year ago. Oops.

So, the apartment decorating project will remain on hiatus until July, at least. I'll still scour design blogs and magazines for ideas, but instead of rushing to make immediate changes to my living space, I will focus instead on really thinking about what I want, and on keeping my apartment clean, not cluttered. I'm actually pretty excited about this -- I had become so obsessed with making my apartment "perfect" that I had begun neglecting some of my favorite hobbies -- like baking and reading (especially chick lit and military history...guess that explains why I love Lifetime's Army Wives so much). Another bonus? I'll have more time to devote to my blog -- I have some new ideas about how to have a little more fun with it, and I can't wait to try them!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Heather,

Have you ever considered becoming a professional sports writer? Not one that gives commentaries on the point by point actions of the game, but narrations that reflect the story behind the player behind the game. I do not like sports that much unless it is a nail-biting high-stakes preferrably non-professional game, but your perspectives, though in print, capture a certain action-packed on the court, on the field reality that grasps my interest to the end. And trust me - if you can do that for me, you're good!

Anonymous said...

I understand your dilemma but do not fret! Most of us have great familiarity with the feeling of hitting a wall with decorating. You have taken us through an exciting before and after of sorts, a real "transformation", as you worked designs and fashions in your apartment. Looking forward to July!